Thursday 15 November 2012

HERAKUT

 I came across Herakut by chance and was completely blown away by their work. A German duo made up of Akut (male) and Hera (female), hence the name. 

They're graffiti artists with a kick. They paint on walls like other urban artists but they also like to use wood, cardboard, sketchbooks, drawings and sculpture which sometimes reflects their graphic design backgrounds. They have released books show casing their works. 

I love their works! The animal heads and limps in the majority of the pieces are so unique compared to any artist I've seen that, when I first saw the work I couldn't help but think WOW! Even the detail and messiness of it is organised in a manner that it becomes part of the work. 
I like how the proportions of the characters are out of shape and thin with exaggerated lines and limps. 
The texture of the animal fur is interesting to look at and the way that in nearly all the pictures, the animals head is pulled over the persons head like a hood. Personally I think this creates symbolism. 

I suppose the main reason why I love Herakut so much is because I'm a huge animal lover and seeing these animated pictures really captured me. 

Unfortunately, I can't use Herakut in my contextual notebook or draw inspiration for my project from them because they have no relevance to my idea. 
I would love love LOVE to incorporate something like this into my idea but I honestly can't see a way in which I can :( 
Even though graffiti does use space, almost invading it... maybe I'll find a way around my dilemma.... maybe, just maybe....




No comments:

Post a Comment